WLA Conference Committee 2009

WLA Conference Committee 2009
Reclaiming the Magic!

LIBRARIANS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN!

What have you done for library fun lately?!

Monday, October 29, 2007

Now I'm a Thingamabrarian and other assorted fun!

I have posted Library Thing on my blog just to the left. I decided to gather some of my favorite children's books for fall since in my dual role I also do Children's Programming and this is such a great time of the year! I think Library Thing is great. The advantage to tagging is that as you get used to it, you relate to what other people of a like mind will be using for tags--e.g. "great read aloud." Inversely, some people, like myself, may not be that great @ tagging at first. I also enjoy the rating scales. I think they are helpful in discerning "quality". The only real downside I can think of is that the project is only as strong as the participants who are involved. Therefore, I understand the desire to have more and more subscribers.
Suggester & Unsuggester I put in "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy (one of my all time favorite books) and for one of the suggestions Library Thing came up with "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood". I thought that was so interesting--perhaps the southern connection? I have read that book and enjoyed it. I tried "Beach Music" for the Unsuggester, too. How fun! Library Thing came up with a TON of mathematics related books and yes, there was not a one that I think I would ever pick up! Okay, then I tried a new idea. I typed in a book I DIDN'T like into the Unsuggester and found lots of books that I have read or would like to read. Hmmm...
I had TOO much fun with the Dummies exercise! My first attempt was for my staff (ha ha) and my second attempt was for family & friends (ho ho). Can you tell which is which?! I envision lots of uses for this!




















I have been meaning to post a picture of Mark from a gig he played on October 20 so here he is in all his rock and roll glory (he is the honey w/o the hat)! How is it going for you?





No comments: