WLA Conference Committee 2009

WLA Conference Committee 2009
Reclaiming the Magic!

LIBRARIANS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN!

What have you done for library fun lately?!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Project Play is Back!--Instant Messaging


Yeah, this is cool and fun but I don't think this is my thing, personally. I am discovering about myself that I like time delays! I like time to think things through. I embrace voice mail & texting & e.mail because they give me the control of responding when I feel like it. I am already totally distracted when a phone rings or that little window flashes up saying that I have e.mail. It's worse now because the e.mail itself actually is open as it flashes up! Sometimes I have to close e.mail or I would be off on tangents all day. (I guess I'm saying that e.mail and instant messaging are almost the same in my mind) I'm not very disciplined so it takes all my willpower to stick with my to-do list! However, the times when I think it would be beneficial for the library: A) As described, for doing reference work--yes, perfect. B)If I was working on a project with a friend elsewhere and I didn't want to commandeer the phone (which I hate doing at our library because we only have one line) I think IMing would be effective. Similar to a conference call from the past? Are there are others of you out there who feel as bombarded by information and requests as I do? Sometimes I feel completely overstimulated!

No comments: