WLA Conference Committee 2009

WLA Conference Committee 2009
Reclaiming the Magic!

LIBRARIANS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN!

What have you done for library fun lately?!

Monday, February 11, 2008

Something's Gotta Give!

Well, I watched the youtube video about social networking and I enjoyed how it said that social networking offers hidden opportunities. I think this is true!
I read the articles by Meredith Farkas and Judi Sohn. There is SO MUCH to consider here. If Facebook is a private social network and MySpace is a public social network, as a public library we would want to utilize MySpace. The words of Meredith seem almost ominous: "Just putting up a profile does not make the library seem cool, nor does it make the library more visible."
I liked the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County MySpace page because it was promoting programming. We are looking for new ways to promote our programs, too.
Why did I entitle this "Something's Gotta Give!"? The hard lesson is that anything you add to your plate you must be prepared to nurture, evaluate and maintain. I don't see me fitting MySpace maintenance into this already brimming schedule. And I wouldn't want to just throw something up out there as Meredith said.
I think our library website can be promoted more. And now that I am accustomed to blogging, just about weekly, I feel that I could easily incorporate a blog into the existing website. The website is a natural place, also, to promote programming and keep a calendar of events. (I would want all the same things on a MySpace page--that would be a lot of replication!) My opinion as of today, then, is to do better with what exists, namely our website and not create something new at this time.

No comments: