WLA Conference Committee 2009

WLA Conference Committee 2009
Reclaiming the Magic!

LIBRARIANS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN!

What have you done for library fun lately?!

Friday, April 4, 2008

Random thoughts about Playing More, Learning More & Fearing Less!

Another semester accomplished--that's amazing. This has been a wonderful time and I am gratified to see that you are contemplating ways to continue the Project on a less intense schedule. I would really be happy with that idea. Let's keep this powerful momentum going! You (the instructors) have done a fabulous job!
Thank you for the link to "yes and". I really liked this in juxtaposition to "no but". I think when we examine the words we habitually use in communication, we can tell what our outlook is and tweak it to make it more hopeful. This reminded me of a book that I return to time and again: "The Power of a Positive No" by William Ury. The basic premise of the book is to sandwich your no between two yeses. I have been practicing this and it really works(!) for your own integrity and keeping relationships in tact and in balance.
I have bookmarked Pew Research. I think that we definitely cannot work in a vacuum and we need to know what is happening en masse.
I will definitely continue on blogging and I want to practice tagging as part of blogging because I think that is a great "librarian" habit to have!
Finally, being aware of the habits of our patrons is critical. I thought it was so wonderful when Gerri pointed out at the AAC meeting that Infosoup is NOT Netflicks. What an "a-ha" moment for me. And what great self-knowledge for when we are encountering a patron who is also a Netflicks fan. The more we know, the more we can compare & contrast it to what else we know!

No comments: